Friday, November 25 | 20:00 ET
Cassell Coliseum (Blacksburg, Virginia)
vs Charleston Southern
Series: W leads 6-0
Game Notes: Virginia Tech (PDF)
Game by game: John Meterparal
Analyst: Malcolm Huckabee
Stay Connected with Tech Men’s Basketball
Virginia Tech Sports Network
Game by game: Zach McKee
Analyst: Mike Burnop
- Virginia Tech is 6-0 all-time against the Charleston Southern, averaging 27.2 points per game.
- The Hokies and Buccaneers have met at Cassell Coliseum five times, including the most recent event, an 87-59 Tech victory on December 20, 2016.
- CSU Head Coach Barclay Radebaugh and Tech Head Coach Mike Young (at Wofford) met face to face twice and won at home each time.
J-MUTTY IS INCLUDED IN THE TEAM OF THE WHOLE TOURNAMENT
- Virginia Tech forward Justin Matts was named to the Shriners Children’s Charleston Classic All-Tournament Team after averaging a double-double.
- Senior had 12.3 points per game, 10.3 rebounds and 56.7% shooting from the floor.
- He played 112:06 out of a possible 120 minutes (93.1%).
CLARITY OF THE LOWER COUNTRY
- After three Tech games in Charleston head coach Mike Young gained some clarity on the prospects for this year’s team.
- “I told them that I have some concerns [entering the tournament]”Young said about his team. “Nothing egregious, nothing egregious after our first three games. I needed to see some heat on their ass and see how they reacted. New guys, Maddox and Pedulla in different roles. Three games here, we’ve seen a lot of different situations, we’ve played three good teams, and I’m more convinced now than when we started the valley in our team’s toughness, our team’s determination and our team’s ability to win. number of games.
VALUE THE BALL
- The emphasis in Coach Young’s system is on scoring basketball, which limits losses.
- In six games, the Hokies average 8.3 turnovers per game, which ranks fourth in the country and first in the ACC.